Friday, September 10, 2010

So yet another attempt at blogging and here goes a little bit about the girl behind the updates. My name's Melana Portnoy, I'm 20 years old and have just begun my third year at Baruch College as an accountancy major and a psychology minor. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, growing up in a Russian household yet keeping in touch with my American roots. Aside from English and Russian, I can speak Spanish and Italian fairly well from courses taken years back. I'm the kind of girl with a very eclectic laundry list of interests, varying from attending a head-banging, hearing-terminating, rock concert from time to time; to cooping up in my room with a good mystery or romance novel. Time spent with family and friends typically trumps it all for me- whether it'd be a casual dinner or an unforgettable night on the town, with those that'd raised me and with those that have stuck by me, there's never really been much of a dull moment. I have my fair share of hobbies; the rock shows, the shopping sprees, reading, creative writing, the bad karaoke and dancing worries away. With that said, I've also made time to focus on academics, as I probably should, and consider just what the future looks like through my own eyes. Up until that first day of college, I've changed my mind regarding my major and career so many times. It's all gone from art and acting, to becoming a child psychologist or a teacher, but now I'm pretty sure I've settled well on going into the business field with accounting. Maybe even changing my mind along the way once again. This basically seems about right when it comes to describing myself in a nutshell; just simple, open-minded me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melana, I want to say that you have a talent of stringing words together. This is very creative. :) Anyway, that's cool! I wish I was multi-lingual. So far I only know how to speak English and Tagalog since I'm Filipino. I'm also majoring in accounting. For me, I've known that I want to do accounting in the future because I just fell in love with it when I first took it in high school. It worked out and I discovered I was good at it so I decided to pursue it in college.

    I hope you figure out things soon, good luck with everything and see you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melana,
    Thanks for the comment..lol..I enjoyed reading your blog as well. I must say that you write very well. :)
    As far as the major goes, I can totally feel what you're going through right now. I'd say follow your heart. Make your decision based on what you're really interested in doing. :) Good luck with everything and I hope we have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melana, I feel the same way about my major, as I'm doing finance, but that might change in the future. Good luck, and keep us updated on any new languages you learn, haha.

    ReplyDelete